- Mariners Introduction
- John Scarrow I
- John Scarrow II
- Joseph Scarrow
- William Scarrow
- Thomas Scarrow
- Robert B. Scarrow
- Sailing Ships
- UK Ports
- Foreign Ports
- Thomas, Shipwright
- Hayton Mariners
- Researching Mariners
Public House of English Street, Carlisle in the 19th Century
In an 1810 Carlisle Directory, and again in 1811 Jollies, Thomas Scarrow was listed as an Innkeeper in English Street, Carlisle.
In these two aformentioned directories, the name of the Inn was not specified. The quest to find which Inn was owned by Thomas Scarrow has led to the gathering of much information which has been reproduced on this page.
The image on the left shows a copy of the licence issued to Thomas Scarrow in September 1812. Strangely, this licence does not specify the premises or location beyond English Street.
The original licences can be viewed at the Carlisle Record Office.
The selection of six adverts below date from 1795 to 1810, and appeared in either the Carlisle Journal, Carlisle Patriot or the Cumberland Pacquet. Only four of the adverts mention Thomas Scarrow's inn by name, which would indicate that it was fairly well known in the city. The earliest advert from 1795, implies Thomas Scarrow is renting the property from Mr. John Strong, an attorney in Carlisle. Other adverts show that some businesses were run from some of the larger pubs, maybe for a percentage for the owner? It also seemed common practice to hold auctions in public houses, particularly for dwelling houses and land.
During our search for the identity of Thomas Scarrow's Inn, we also discovered the identities of some of the other English Street Innkeepers listed in the Jollies Directory of 1811. This was extracted from numerous adverts in the Carlisle Journal between 1803 and 1810, but some of the inns are still to be identified:
|John Armstrong||Innkeeper||English Street|
|William Baker||Innkeeper||English Street|
|John Brown||Innkeeper||Pack Horse Inn||English Street|
|Joseph Bushby||Innkeeper & Joiner||Fergusons Lane & English Street|
|Mary Davidson||Innkeeper||Cross Keys||English Street|
|Ann Holmes||Innkeeper||English Street|
|Ralph Holmes||Innkeeper||Kings Arms||English Street|
|John Irving||Innkeeper||English Street|
|Joseph Lowies||Innkeeper||Kings Arms Lane & English Street|
|Henry Nanson||Butcher & Innkeeper||English Street|
|Joseph Peascod||Butcher & Innkeeper||Bull Dog Inn||English Street|
|Thomas Randleson||Innkeeper||English Street|
|Robert Reed||Innkeeper||English Street|
|James Richardson||Spirit Dealer & Innkeeper||English Street|
|Mary Robinson||Innkeeper||Grey Goat||English Street|
|Thomas Scarrow||Innkeeper||White Hart||English Street|
|Thomas Wilson||Innkeeper||Bush Inn||English Street|
|Mrs. Wilson||Innkeeper||English Street|
|Edward Wilson||Innkeeper||String of Horses Inn||English Street|
|Nancy Irving||Innkeeper||Crown & Mitre||Castle Street|
77 (14-16) English Street. The earliest recording of the inn dates back to 1634 when Walter Brand stayed there. In 1802, the landlord of the Angel Inn was John Mulcaster. Mrs. Elliot advertised the pub in the Carlisle Journal to be let in August 1810. In 1821, the proprietor was John Mitchinson, where the address was listed as Castle St. In 1841, the inn burnt down and was demolished. Tom Fleming became the innkeeper in 1858. The Angel Inn was for a time (1893-94) called Bewshers Vaults. The Angel Inn closed in 1916. In the photograph below, the Angel Inn is the white building, second from the left. See also Crown and Mitre.
45-46 English Street. The earliest mention of the hotel is to be found in Newcastle Courant in 1876 where Joseph Wootton announces he has taken the inn. In a 1794 directory, the proprietor was said to be James Fairburn. In the 1803 Carlisle Journal, the innkeeper is John Fletcher. In the Carlisle Journal of 1810, former owner Mr. Fairburn is mentioned. The current owner in 1810, Mr Fletcher, passed the premises over to Mr. T. Wilson in May 1810. In the Jollie 1811 Directory the Inn is still kept by Mr T.Wilson - mail and other coaches depart from here. Thomas Wilson still proprietor in 1821. Ralph Holmes is the Innkeeper at the Bush Hotel between 1822 and 1829. In the 1851 census Benjamin B Breach is listed as a Hotelkeeper. The Bush Hotel was demolished to make way for new Victoria Viaduct; however the new Bush Hotel reopened 1878. A description is to be found in the Carlisle Journal of 24th May 1878. In 1882 Porters Directory A.C.Kirkpatrick is the manager. In the 1901 Bulmers Directory, Robert Clarke is the manager and Johnson Carr is the proprietor. The premises were closed in 1918-19. There are two photogrpahs of the Bush Hotel below. The first photograph was taken in 1876 immediately before the properties were demolished to make way for the Victoria Viaduct. The second photograph, taken in the late 1890s, shows the new hotel.
41-42 English Street. Popularly referred to by most Carlisle folk at the Gaol Tap. Also referred to as Carlisle Arms and City Vaults. Its distinctive curved entrance was added in 1858. In about 1885, the grocers property adjacent to the City Arms (formerly the Pine Apple Inn) was acquired and the pub was extended through into that building.
The pub was bought by the Corporation in 1928 so that it could be demolished, along with the gaol, for street widening and new shops. The pub was levelled by the end of 1930, and Woolworths was built upon part of the site in 1932. The photograph below dates to 1897, while the photograph on the right is from 1928.
In 1781, it was known as Beck's Coffee House. Between 1793 and 1798, the inn was kept by Sarah Alkin.
James Irving, late of Crown and Mitre died in 1807. Nancy Irving was the proprietor in 1811 but by 1822 it was owned by Charles King. Later still, John Gray became the proprietor. Mr Gray intended to retire in November 1842 to allow Mr Irvine to take over. However Mr Hall actually took over in Nov 1842, and went bankrupt in 1847. Mr Gray appeared to take over again, as he was listed as proprietor in 1858, when Mrs Wilkinson became the new tenant. The photograph below shows the original Crown and Mitre Coffee House.
In this second photograph below, the rebuilt, and enlarged, Crown and Mitre Hotel is shown. This building dates from 1905. FO Bewsher and Son, to the left, is the old Angel Inn.
28 English Street
66 English Street. Appeared in local directories up to 1884. In 1810, the proprietor was Mrs Robinson, but by 1829 the proprietor was John Walton. In 1861 John Robinson was in charge. The photograph below was taken in the 1870s.
78 English Street. Appeared in local directories up to 1852. Occupied by Mary Nelson in 1814, however owned at this time by Daniel Wilson. In 1847 the publican, Mr Little, moved to new premises in Scotch Street, called the Black Bull but renamed by him to the Joiners Arms.
7 English Street. The Inn was located in English Street near Kings Arms Lane, and appeared in local directories up to 1884. Inn was first mentioned in 1713. Between 1793-98, the innkeeper was Thomas Hardesty. In 1803, Thomas James was the owner. In 1811 Ralph Holmes was the proprietor, having taken over from Thomas James whom advertised the property to let in May 1810. In 1891 the Chief Constable opposed the renewal of its licence.
Proprietor in 1809 was Mr John Brown
Pine Apple Inn
43 English Street. Can be traced back to at least 1810, when the innkeeper was Mr. H. Dennison, but by 1875 it had closed and was in use as a grocer's shop.
Royal Hotel and Posting House
19 English Street. The hotel appeared in local directories between 1844 and 1858. The premises were then taken over by the Cumberland Union Bank. Between 1847 and 1851, the hotelkeeper was Thomas Elsworth. In 1861 Isabella Nicholson was the Innkeeper of the 'White Hart and Royal Hotel'. See White Hart Hotel.
Spread Eagle Inn
Located in Spread Eagle Lane between English Street and Castle Street. Described in 1899 as 'one of the oldest licensed houses in the city', the history of the Spread Eagle can be traced back to at least 1795.
The licensee or owner at this time being Jacob Johnston. The inn was reached by a narrow lane which carried the same name as the pub and opened out into a small yard. Jacob was still innkeeper in 1805.
In 1810, the innkeeper was Mrs. Johnston. The Spread Eagle closed down in 1903, and the property was pulled down for the new Crown and Mitre development.
The photograph on the right dates to 1905.
51 English Street. Appeared in local directories up to 1869. The proprietor in 1809 was Edward Wilson. The proprietor in 1821 was John Carruthers. Advertisements to let the premises in 1858 and 1858 listed its location as the Corn Market and latterly as the Market Place. In 1861 the innkeeper was Abraham Barker.
Three Crowns Inn
36 English Street. In 1829, the proprietor was Henry Barber. In 1861, Thomas Hudson was the innkeeper. In 1916 it was proposed that the Three Crowns was to amalgamate with the Wellington next door.
The above photograph shows the Gaol Tap (left), the Wellington Hotel (right), with the old Three Crowns just to the left of the Wellington.
37 English Street. The Wellington stood virtually opposite the Gaol Tap, and was associated with the Wine and Spirit firm of T & J Minns. It replaced an earlier pub on this site that had traded under the same name, but also for a longer period as the French Horn. The property is known to have been a small thatched house, and had stood here from at least 1828. The three photographs of the Wellington date from about 1911.
18 English Street. Thomas Scarrow was definitely the innkeeper between 1805 to 1814, but probably for a longer period still to be determined. Between 1822 and 1829 the proprietor was Launcelot Brown. William Bowman was owner from 1829 to 1833. Between 1851 and 1864, the Innkeeper was Isabella Nicholson. In 1855, she bought the Royal Hotel, and joined it to the White Hart. The hotel had 20 bedrooms. In 1874, the south side of Bank Street was developed (north side was built in 1850s), and both the White Hart and Royal hotels were demolished. Materials from the White Hart Hotel were sold in June 1874 for £40.
White Horse Inn
44 English Street. Also has frontage on White Horse Lane and Blackfriars Street. The inn appeared in local directories up to 1884. In 1861 the innkeeper was Hugh McGrath, from Ireland. The inn was closed in October 1916.
White Lion Inn
16 English Street. Proprietor moved to new premises in Lowther Street in 1849 to make way for new bank. However, the Inn appeared in local directories up to 1873.
White Swan Inn
55 English Street. In 1829, the innkeeper was William Henderson. In 1861, the innkeeper was James Taylor. The inn was demolished in 1883.